Thursday, April 30, 2009

I have a camera again!!!









So Julie was so kind as to send me her extra camera. The boys have officially destroyed both of mine, hence the lack of blogging lately. So I am excited to start documenting our lives again.
Last weekend I was lucky enough to be part of a Relay for Life team. For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it is a fundraiser for cancer. It benefits all types of cancer not just one specific. My awesome friend Marie put in a ton of hard work organizing our team. She put the team together in Honor of our Friend Rashele who is currently winning the battle against cancer. I was so excited to be a part of this event.
I lost my Aunt Barbie to Cancer a few years ago. She wasn't just my aunt. Her girls are just like my sisters, and I spent a lot of time living with and being a part of their family.
Aunt Barbie was like a mother ot me. She helped me grow up, and gave me the support, example, and role model I needed. She was there for me whenever I needed her. And watching Cancer take her away for this time, from her family, myself and the rest of this world was awful. She was so Valiant, sweet, and beautiful every step of the way. So this relay was an opportunity to honor her, and share with my family her memory.
I think I will do this every year.it was amazing. I am glad I was there. Andrew and the kids came in the evening and hung out with us all. But they left, and so did many other members of our team as the night progressed. Quitters! The select few stuck it out until the end. 6 am. no sleep, tons of fun, lots of memories, too uch food, freezing cold, listening to a hairy elvis, horrible teenage weezer wanabe band.
Our team had ballons at our sight. We all wrote names of those we relayed for on the balloons. And in the morning we let them go. Rashele was there too. She looked radiant. I watch her fight through the pain to be a part of it all, and to hold her children, even though it hurts. She is an inspiration to me of strength. She designed the shirts we are all wearing as well.

2 comments:

The Spence Family said...

Jessica,
Thanks so much for coming and doing this with me. I am glad that you want to do it next year too. I think it will be great! Thanks for being hard core and sticking it out with me to the end!!
Love Ya,
Marie
That is a horrible picture of me!:)

nikkii said...

Jess, I'm so proud of you! I'm totally in next year!